Wednesday 27 May 2015

SIMPLE PAN-FRIED TOFU

I was talking to a fellow kitchen worker lately and he confessed to me that he had never tasted tofu. I was surprised and though 'Where have you been?' but it seems that it is still something that is omitted or skipped over in cooking trade school. 

He asked me, "What is the best way to cook it?" The answer to this will depend on your tastes and what you want to achieve, of course. Tofu is wonderfully versatile. To my taste, it is best deep fried. But lightly pan fried is excellent and very simple too. Here is an example in the picture below:


Cut a firm or semi-firm tofu into one centimetre thick slices. Heat a heavy iron griddle and oil lightly with a good quality sesame oil. Fry on each side until just golden. That's it. Serve with stir fried rice and season with some soy sauce. A basic food.

No comments:

Post a Comment